P

Part 1: [A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|XYZ]

Part 2: [A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|XYZ]

PAISLEY'S CLOSE Shown as Smith's Close, Edgar. East Bailie Fyfe's Close, Ainslie. East Bailie Fife's Close, formerly Smith's, Kirkwood. Both the closes leading into the court were known as Bailie Fyfe's Close, 'The two closes called Bailie Fyfe's' Reg. 14/1/1859. Its present name, Paisley's Close, is derived from Henry Paislie, who acquired lands there sometime owned by George Henderson of Fordell, Prot. A. W. 4, 25/10/1711; A. W.5, 25/6/1716. Its older name, Smith's Close, is derived from the great Smith's Land, built by Mr. James Smith of Whitehill, Prot. J. W.4, 6/2/1758; J. W. 7, 21/11/1764; J. W.8, 18/12/1765, from whom it was inherited by his son Gilbert, mason, who disponed it to Andrew Barclay, writer, Prot. W.F.9, 23/8/1759. A modern shield, inscribed Smith's Land, may be seen carved on the wall, just east of Bailie Fyfe's Close. Smith's land occurs frequently in the protocols.
PALMERSTON PLACE From Lord Palmerston (Punch's favourite "Pam"). Foreign secretary 1830, premier 1855. Lord Rector Glasgow University April 1863. Made Burgess of Edinburgh and banqueted (1863). Feued from Heriot's Hospital April 1877.
PALMERSTON ROAD From same source as Palmerston Place.
PANMURE CLOSE Ainslie. Kirkwood. Kerr. M'Kell's Close, Can. Chart. 3/7/1838; m.t.c. 3/7/1838. So called from its giving access to Panmure House, the town, residence of the Earl of Panmure, occupied later by the Countess of Aberdeen, and in 1778 by Adam Smith till his death in 1790, Wilson, ii. 109; o.& n.e. ii. 20. It seems to have had an earlier name, M'Kell's Close, derived from jean and Catherine M'Kell, who owned property in M'Kell's Close, which they disponed to William, Earl of Panmure, Can. Chart. 3/7/1838. They are mentioned as former owners in the Minutes of the Town Council, m.t.c. 15/2/1797, 3/7/1838. The alias is not definite, but seems sufficiently indicated.
PANMURE PLACE From Earl of Panmure, minister for war at the time of the Indian Mutiny.
PAPE'S COTTAGES Roseburn. Almshouses under philanthropic bequest of Mr. Geo. Pape, specially for behoof of dwellers in village of Coltbridge.
PARK AVENUE From Parkhouse, originally Portobello Park, a small farm, Baird 297.
PARK ROAD
PLACE
Newhaven. From situation. Park Crescent etc.Liberton - See Part II.
PARKSIDE STREET
TERRACE
From vicinity to the King's Park, which gave its name to Parkside House. East side of Pleasance, a little within the.turnpike (toll) on the : Dalkeith road (i.e. the Gibbet toll) to let, eec.j.s. 12/2/1772. Parkside buildings Parkside St. St. Leonards, D. 1827. Parkside, near the Gibbet, east side of road leading to Dalkelth, m.t.c. 12/9/1810, 5/6/1822.
PARKVALE PLACE Fanciful, beside Leith Links, j.r.
PARLIAMENT SQUARE D.1827. Formerly Parliament Close, D. 1800, 126. from the neighbouring Parliament Hall, finished 1639.
PARLIAMENT STREET Also ancient Parliament Court. (Parliament Close, St. Leonard's Lane and St. Andrew St., D.1827. Parliament Square, D.1800. Probably because the Earl of Lennox and the Earl of Mar held their councils there from 1571, o.& n.e. iii. 247. Parliament Close, Kirkwood, j.r.s.l. 292.
PARSON'S GREEN TERRACE Near Piershill, D.1827. Pearsons Greenend Duke's Walk, D.1800, 234. Not from an English family resident there 250 years ago, as stated in Edinburgh Evening News. In days of James VI known as Parson's Knowes , owned by Logan of Parsons Knowes, i.w.c.h. col. 4, p.193, 1596, before the Reformation it was church land, belonging to the Parson of Restalrig, j.r. Occupied, Kirkwood and D. 1827, by Wm. Mitchel of Royal Bank. Pearson's Knows, and Parson's Knows both occur, v.r. 31. "Personis Knowis", 1593, s.s.l. 78.
PATRIOT HALL Stockbridge, D.1827. House and grounds to let or sell, apply to Mr. Le Pique, Shennen Close, 18/2/1775, eec.j.s. m.t.c. 11/4/1827. Patriothall buildings, built 1861.
PATTISON STREET 47 Elbe St., D. 1827. Patitson's row. Elbe St., D. 1827, 240. From John Pattison, town clerk, Links of Leith, p.w. 1780/81, 112. Do.do Charlotte St. Links, D. 1800, 71. Wm. Patison, merchant Elbe St., house, Links, D. 1827, 231. An old Leith family. John Pattison appointed Town Clerk of Leith, m.t.c. 31/8/1774. Burgess of Edinburgh, 14/2/1776. An old Leith family. The tombstone of John Pattison, Town Clerk of Leith showing beautiful carved symbolism is on south side South Leith Churchyard, j.r.
PEACOCK COURT Main St., Newhaven. Probably from family of Thomas Peacock, who acquired subjects on Newhaven, m.t.c. 20/5/1778. Thos. Peacock, vintner, Newhaven , m.t.c. 4/9/1793. Thomas Peacock got feu at east end of Newhaven 5/8/1767, m.t.c. 26/7/1809. Peacock Inn, Newhaven, 1779, s.s.l. 115. Thos. Peacock of Stenhouse, m.t.c. 5/4/1842.
PEELTERRACE From Sir Robert Peel, Littlejohn, App. 50. P.M. at the time.
PENTLAND TERRACE Looking over to the Pentland Hills. (Properly Benland Hills, that is the hilly or mountainous country. Sir Robert Sibbald, quoted by Maitland 506, c.2.) See also Pentland Avenue etc. -Part II.
PICARDY PLACE D.27. "Little Picardy", M.215.c.2. From the Protestant refugees, who fled from Picardie after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes 1685, o.&n.e. ii. 186. Maitland 215.c.2. "To the North West of Greenside is a large Edifice, denominated Little Picardy, erected by the Edinburghers from the Habitation of a Number of French Families, who carry on a Cambrick Manufactory therein", Anon. map, circa 1730, "Pickardy ". do. do. circa 1767. Ainslie 1780. "Picardie House gone and now Picardy Place, Ainslie 1804. One of the streets on the ground sold by the governors of Heriots Hospital in 1730 for behoof of refugees fleeing after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes. Street named 1809, b.b.57. Feu Charter from Heriot's Hospital dated 7 Dec. 1730 .... five acres feued by the City to the predecessors of the Board of Manufactures, for the encouragement of the silk-weavers, French refugees, r.e.g. 27/28. A body of weavers brought over by the British Linen Coy. Walks in Edin. 217, quoted by Wilson ii, 213. There was a silk weavers' factory west of the Calton Hill, m.t.c. 2/10/1771. Board of Trustees offered to sell Picardy to the Town, m.t.c. 11/6/1800. 5 Acres at Broughton, called Picardy, m.t.c. 6/5/1801. Also mention is made of Picardy Street. m.t.c. 23/3/1807, 22/4/1807. Picardy Pl., m.t.c. 20/5/1807. Mention is made in m.t.c. 29/8/1832 of Nicolas Dassauville, weaver in Picardy evidently French.
PIER PLACE At Newhaven. Evident.
PIERSFIELD GREEN
PLACE
From Captain Piers of Piershill. Possibly not correct derivation - See Piershill-Part II.
PIERSHILL PLACE
TERRACE
From Piershill house, residence of Col. Piers, in the middle of the 18th century. Apparently so named by his successor, Ronald Crawford, o.& n.e. iii. 142. Thomas Stark, master at Leith mills got sasine of 10 acres of land called Piershill & three steps, in Dec. 1676. In Mr. D. Robertson's South Leith Records the said Thomas Stark was cited for his mills going on the Sabbath morning. Possibly not correct derivation. -See Piershill-Part II.
PILRIG PLACE
STREET
From Pilrig house, owned in 1584 by Patrick Monypenny. In 18th century by James Balfour, with whose family R. Stevenson was connected. Named from the ridge whereon in the 15th century the Peel tower stood, e.s.s. 256. It was owned by 1506 by Monypenny family. Later new house built by Gilbert Kirkwood, goldsmith, 1638. It is said to have been the country house of Mary of Gueldres, Irons H, 71. Peilryge ... lying in the Barony of Brochton, 12th Oct. 1458. Antiq. 1906/7, 314. "Lands of Peilrig" 1448, St. Giles, 318, No. 61. Laing's Charters p.81. j.r.s.l. freq. Bought by James Balfour 1719.See also Pilrig Gardens-Part II.
PIPE STREET
LANE
From the large pipes bringing water from the Figget burn to the end of the cross lane, between Pipe St. and Bridge St., then known as Tobago St. where was a large trough or tank, Baird 296.
PIRIE'S CLOSE D.1827. o.s. Kerr. Shown as Pern'e's Close, p.w. list 1779. Perry's Close, Ainslie l780. Pierry's Close, Ainslie l8O4. Pierie's Close, Kirkwood. Foord's or Fuird's Close, Prot. G.L, 23/12/1731, Kinnaird's Close, M.216;Prot. A.W. 7, 11/6/1723. From a tenement beyond the Netherbow, bounded on the west by Gibb's Close, belonging to the heirs of (blank) Peirie, Prot. J.W. 1, 26/1/1748. The lands of Elizabeth Murray and her husband Alexr. Pirie were here, Prot. A.W.5, 13/7/1714. They were acquired by Archibald Chessils by purchase and excambion from Elizabeth Dundas, relict of Wm. Cerser, master of the pin manufactory in Leith, former relict of Thomas Pierie, writer in Edinburgh, son to the late Wm. Pierie, and brother to the late Gripheth Pierie, sailor in Leith. David Pierie appears as an owner, being son to Alexander Pierie, master of the pin factory. The last owner seems to have been Mrs. Shaw Pirie or Skeen; the first, Wm. Pirie, Prot. J.W. 7, 4/4/1765. The property was bounded on the west by Robert Gibb's Close, and by Pirie's Close on the east. James Pirie, late staymaker at the Canongatehead, thereafter soldier in General Beauclerk's Regiment of Foot, disponed part of the property, Prot. W.F.8, 23/1/1757. His wife was Isobel McEan, McEuan, or McEwan, Prot. W.F. 0, 9/1/1754. There was a brewery in Pirrie's, formerly Foord's Close, built by the father of the late Thomas Pirie, W.F.3, 14/2/1750. The relationships are not easily traced. Its other name, Foord's, Fuird's, Prot. G.H.1, 23/12/1/731, or Ford's Close, Reg. 23/5/1862, has been mentioned above. It is derived from Alexander Foord, who had land, barn, kiln, etc., there, Prot. G.L.2 4/4/1764; J. W. 7, 4/4/1765. The property was owned at one time by John Alexander Fuird, Reg. 18/2/1744, and later by the heirs of Alexander, Prot. A.W. 7, 11/6/1723, John being his son and heir, Prot. A.W.2, 23/8/1705. The alias is given clearly, 'Foord's now Pirie's Close', Prot. G.I. 1, 23/12/1731. This close may be Kinnaird's Close, given in Maitland's alphabetical list. Malcolm Kinnaird owned a tenement on the south side of the High Street beyond the Netherbow, owned thereafter by the heirs of the late Alexr. Foord, Prot. A.W. 7, 11/6/1723.
PIRNIEFIELD
PLACE
From Pirniefield House, Ainslie 1804. Kirkwood 1817. See Pirniefield Bank etc. -Part II.
PIRRIE STREET From David Pirie, wright, 34 Yardheads, D.1827. t.t.l. 152, speaks of Mr. Pirrie's property, in the neighbourhood. Builder, and house agent, Duke St., Leith, 1877, j.r.
PITSLIGO ROAD From Sir Wm. Forbes of Pitsligo, banker, who bought the village and lands of Greenhill in 1805, (See Forbes Road), and from Sir John Stuart, also of Pitsligo, his descendant, o.e.c. x. 197, 251.
PITT STREET From William Pitt, P.M. in 1783, son of the Earl of Chatham, died 1805.
PLEASANCE From St. Mary of Placentia, whose convent stood just south of the Cowgate Port, Bruce Home, Maitland 176.c.2., who derives St. Mary's Wynd, from the same. Pleasance, St. Mary Wynd to St. Leonards, D.1827. Pleasance Court, just south of and on the same side as Arthur St., Ord. Surv. 1852. Bought from the Earl of Roxburgh by the Edinburgh Magistrates 1636, Amot 328. Maitland states that the Priory of Nuns stood sixty yards from the south-east angle of the wall p.176. Sometimes named the Pleasants. Pleasants St. (M) Pleasance,m.t.c. 734, 10/4/1562. Evidently some writers derive the name from a mistaken idea connected with the King's Pleasance, or pleasure ground. "Street called St. Leonards or Pleasance", m.t.c. 17/1/1797. Ralph Richardson, p.3 of "Coutts & Co., bankers, Edinburgh & London derives it from the French "plaisance" a place, "pour y allor prendre L'air quelquefois".
PLEWLANDS GARDENS
AVENUE
TERRACE
From old Plewlands farm. Over Plewlands, alias Greenbank, St. G. 385. Owned by John Sievewright, 1705. History of the Merchant Coy. 76. Plewlands Farm, m.t.c. 11/9/1833. Lands of Plewlands, Prot. 10/1/1531.
PONTON STREET D.1800, 88, D.1827. Ainslie 1804. Property at or near Haig's Distillery, Lochrin owned in 1814 by Mr. Ponton and Mr. Haig, v.r.43, Scots. Mag. 1802, p.273. Thomas Ponton was builder of tenement in Wharton PI. and elsewhere, Lauriston, m.t.c. 29/5/1816. Thos. Bishop, meal maker, resided in Ponton's St. His son Robert entered apprentice 5/12/1782. For sale building area, e.s. Ponton St. Apply Gray & Ponton, solicitors, e.e.c. 21/1/1805.
POPLAR LANE D. 1827. From trees there, shown Ord. Surv. 1852, j.r.
PORTERFIELD ROAD Old house of the name.
PORTLAND PLACE
TERRACE
Regent St. to Albany St., D.1827. m.t.c. 20/11/1822. The Duke of Portland, Prime Minister 1807. See Portland St - Part II.
PORTSBURGH SQUARE In the Portsburgh, Edgar 1742, 1765, Ainslie 1780, 1804, which takes its name from the West Port. Wester Portsburgh, Easter Portsburgh, being outside the Potterrow Port. Portsburgh belonged originally to the barony of Inverleith, owned by the family of Touris but was disjoined from it in 1649, and formed into a barony with High Riggs, West Port, Crofts of Bristo, etc. King's Stables added 1663, St. C. 14. Portsburgh St., M.
POTTERROW From the industry of the residents. From neighbouring pottery, Stark 1806, 96. Called "a village", o.e.c. ii. 70. Potter-row port. Port shown, Edgar 1742, 1765. Potterrow St., M. "Alias Easter Portsburgh," m.t.c. 5/4/1786. Alias Bristo, l.c. 1859, 4/4/1621. Potterrow Know,see Goose dub. Charles Hogg, potter in the Potterrow, 20/4/1610,i.w.c.h., vol. 1, p.746.
PRESTON STREET EAST
WEST
On property of Mr. Preston, Ainslie 18O4, D.1827. "Formerly Gibbet Loan" 27/11/1820, eec.j.s. Ainslie 1804. Property of Hislop and Preston at Hope Park end, m.t.c. 9/12/1812. Captain Preston, owner of about nine acres in St. Leonard's. Hislop and Preston were heirs to Geo. Lindsay, Town Clerk 1757, in lands of St. Leonard's, m.t.c. 3/6/1831. George Lindsay, one of the city clerks of Edinburgh, had two sisters: of these Agnes married John Preston of Gorton, and survived him; he died before 1793. The other, Jean, married John Hislop, merchant, Dalkeith, their eldest son, William, married and had a daughter Margaret: she died before 1822. A charter was granted, Can. Chart. 11/9/1822, to said Margaret of lands of said George Lindsay, bounded by the Gibbet Loan on the south: by the lands of (blank) Spittal, now of (blank) Irvine, on the east: of (blank) Gifford on the north, and of Robt. MacLellan on the west. Apparently Margaret Hislop had just come of age. George Lindsay married Christian Tytler, who survived him.
PRIESTFIELD ROAD On the lands of Priestfield, which are mentioned in a charter by Robert II, 16 June 1376. Also called Prestonfield, o.e.c. x. Name changed from Priestfield to Prestonfield 1689 by Sir James Dick, Baird 121. Conferred with other lands upon the Abbey of Holme Cultram, St. G. 2. David Prestonne, 11/10/1609, is made burgess of Edinburgh by right of his father, George Prestonne, in Camrunne. Burgess Register James Murray of Priestfield, disponed two aikers of land called Common Myre, to his Uncle Sir Robt. Murray of Camrone, m.t.c. 3/4/1663. The lands of Priestfield, purchased by Sir Jas. Dick Provost of Edin., near end of reign of Chas. II, were named Prestonfield along with lands purchased from the Prestons of Craigmiller. Catalogue of Lords of Session 1794, p.29, note. See also Priestfield Avenue etc-Part II.
PRIMROSE STREET D.1827. Lothian Map 1825. On the grounds of Miss Primrose, Ainslie 1804. The Hermitage on her ground.
PRIMROSE BANK ROAD Sentimental. Old house, Primrose Bank, Ord. Surv. 1895
PRIMROSE TERRACE After the flower, e.c.b.c.1d.
PRINCE REGENT STREET D.1827. To honour George IV, Prince Regent 1810-1820.
PRINCES' STREET Prince's St., Ainslie 1780, Arnot 1788, D. 1827, Craig, 1767, Ainslie 1864. Princes St., Lothian Map 1825, Ord. Surv. 1852, Kincaid 1787. Should be Princes', plural. The intention was to call it St. Giles St. after the patron saint of the city, but when this was told to George III, his narrow stupidity hindered his imagining aught beyond a London slum, and he would have none of it. The name was therefore changed so as to refer to the Royal Princes, the Duke of Rothesay, afterwards George IV, and the Duke of York, o.& n.e. ii. 117. Marked "South Street", Craig's plan, City Museum.
PROMENADE
TERRACE (WEST)
Evident.
PROSPECT BANK ROAD At Restalrig Road, D.1827. From the outlook, j.r. See also Prospect Bank Crescent etc.-Part II.